Home Improvement Expert™ Consumer Confidence
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU...
Home Improvement Expert™ is an easy way to get a quality job.
Proper installation of all home improvements related to energy efficiency is critical, but often a significant challenge for homeowners. Research findings reveal significantly reduced energy savings and potential performance risks where home improvements are not properly installed. Now the U.S. Department of Energy has a tool that homeowners can use to help ensure quality installation. Home Improvement Expert fact sheets and checklists compile best practices from industry leaders and national laboratories for twenty-one home improvements related to energy efficiency.
All homeowners have to do to hold projects accountable to these standards for excellence is include one or more of the appropriate checklists in their vendor contracts. In doing so, homeowners will act in their best self-interest to optimize energy efficiency, comfort, health, durability, and safety.
Tips for Hiring a Contractor
- Look for licensed, insured, and certified contractors.
- Check references and reviews on home improvement websites.
- Get multiple bids in writing.
- Check with your utility and state, local and federal weatherization programs for rebates and incentives.
- Include the Home Improvement Expert checklist in bids and contracts to ensure quality installation.