HVAC System Quality Installation Contractor (HVAC/C) Checklist Completed in its Entirety and Collected for Records
[Note: Guidance for ENERGY STAR Certified Homes Version 3.0, Revision 08 is coming soon.]
Builders, raters, and installers use this portion (Section 1) of the HVAC System Quality Installation Rater Checklist (HVAC/R) to confirm and document that the contractor has completed proper procedures and processes in sizing HVAC equipment.
This page provides the full language for the selected checklist requirement and shows the applicable footnotes describing how to comply; however, a full measure guide showing installation information is not needed.
The numbers in parentheses (included in the measures in this Section 1) refer to measures included in the HVAC System Quality Installation Contractor Checklist (HVAC/C). For information about installing HVAC equipment, see Sections 2 through 11 of HVAC System Quality Installation Rater Checklist (HVAC/R).
See the HVAC System Quality Installation Contractor (HVAC/C) Checklist for more information.
The Rater is only responsible for ensuring that the Contractor has completed the Contractor Checklist in its entirety and verifying the discrete objective parameters referenced in Section 1 of this Checklist, not for assessing the accuracy of the load calculations or field verifications included or for verifying the accuracy of every input on the Contractor Checklist.
The following are the required documents:
- HVAC System Quality Installation Contractor Checklist. This document is necessary to verify that the HVAC contractor has documented all pertinent information related to ENERGY STAR requirements for the house's HVAC system.
- Ventilation System Documentation. The system shall have at least one supply or exhaust fan with associated ducts and controls. Local exhaust fans are allowed to be part of an exhaust ventilation system. Outdoor air ducts connected to the return side of an air handler are allowed to be part of a supply ventilation system if manufacturers’ requirements for return air temperature are met. The ventilation system documentation will provide information on which type of ventilation is installed. In addition, it indicates the ventilation rate necessary for Rater-verification purposes.
- Full Load Calculations. HVAC Contractors shall perform a load calculation for the specific house plan and orientation of the home to be qualified or, for plans with multiple options or that may be built in more than one orientation, for every option and orientation.
- AHRI Certificate. All evaporators and condensing units shall be properly matched as demonstrated by an attached AHRI certificate. If an AHRI certificate is not available, a copy of OEM-provided catalog data indicating acceptable combination selection and performance data shall be attached.
- Balancing Report. The balancing report will provide the quantity of supply and return terminals in each room.